Sunday, November 13, 2011

"There's never a dull moment~"

It had been a long hot summer - the pups are sure happy about things cooling off, especially Sophie our bullmastiff!  You'd think she was a snow dog. . . as soon as it cools off she comes alive.   But more in spirit since she has Hip Dysplasia; a painful thing for any dog to go through and I believe especially hard on larger breeds.  Frankly, I was shocked when given the news last year.   At the young age of six years she has been doing well over all but I have to say very discouraging.  Sophie tries to do as the pups in keeping up but that generally bums her up the the next day or so.  Walking helps as well as high doses of Glucosamine and Chondroitin - we've also been watching her weight.  I believe many things can attribute to weight issues not only food and our dogs have been on a good diet for dogs.

I'm always conscious of how she moves and there are times when she favors one leg more than the other.  Recently after closer investigation I saw that her leg wasn't just swollen, it never was previously, it also had an opening that was infected (There was a small fatty growth in this spot that either ruptured or got scratched in play.)

So I thought I'd get her in to the vet, (though reluctantly) we normally try and treat our animals at home. However, not being certain if there was something in the wound - off we went.  We should have stayed home!   Once we arrived Sophie and I went right in with her recognizing where she was and after dropping to the floor tried to leave.  She had seen a vet in Ohio with never a problem.  The last time here we brought her in with limping favoring her back legs; her overall experience wasn't so pleasant.  That's of course when Sophie got x-rays of her hips and finding out about the Hip Dysplasia.  It all seemed rather dramatic for her and with me not aloud to go in she wasn't cooperating.  I happened to see through the door they had her on the table lying on her back with Sophie putting up a struggle.  I just went in and calmed her down to get the pictures.  I truly believe she was in pain and being wrestled on a metal table didn't help.

So with Sophie and me setting on the floor waiting - the vet's assistant came out to take her back - I mentioned I wanted to go with her and apparently that was going to be a problem.  I was quickly informed that there was other "patients" back there and typically wasn't aloud - she would ask.  It was a little wait but the vet came out and looked at her - I showed her Sophie's leg in question - the vet took her nail and scraped at it - ordered up a script for an antibiotic - asked how much I was feeding her and after I told her - "she is to fat she should be getting 1/2 cup a day!  I explained to her that I cut way back to 2 - 2 1/2 cups and even at times fast her.  To much she said. . . whatever!  She didn't even weigh her or ask how she does over all - didn't even look at her leg other then to scratch at it with an uncovered painted finger nail. . ."is it just me!" lol  Walking off  the receptionist said that will be 90 bucks! What can I say?

So I took Sophie home got her antibiotics going and used warm compresses on her leg.  Junk kept coming out and she felt better.  I kept this up until mostly if not all the stuff seemed to be removed and over a few days.  Swelling gone and wound healed.


Lilly is a sweet girl and pretty tough; though she had a time of it when her nail split lengthwise.

All the dogs (including Sophie if I don't catch her) love chasing up and down along the fence.  As you can see it isn't like running in a meadow where there's grass; we have rock / granite / dirt!  It isn't even like running on a sidewalk this stuff can chip nails if they aren't kept short.  So prior to taking Sophie to the Vet we took Lilly mid September with her being a real trooper until they clipped the nail.   I could have done it myself but the way it was split lengthwise and so close to the toe I choice not to.  (Of course same vet - and I "couldn't" go in with her).  I asked that they trim the rest up and they had to sedate her to do so.   You see Lilly's nails seem to be very sensitive I learned this when at home I previously tried trimming them -  when one broke before,  she did fine until I started trimming the rest with a nail a tad short.  Well after that you can't seem to get near them!  Over all she does well.  It took around a month or so to heal.  For a few weeks I used a leash - then I'd let her out by herself, etc. 

I need to add this to Lilly's story.  After the vet or her asst. trimmed Lilly's nails - leaving some :/ she asked me "why are her nails so brittle?"  I almost said, "Why don't you tell me - you're the Vet!" Instead I replied, "I don't know."  I know have been giving the dogs what I used to give Sophie and Miki in the past.  Cod Liver Oil and Vitamin E (or wheatgerm) Nails have improved.  :)

Gordy on the other hand doesn't seem to be bothered by all the "issues" the females are going through.  He and Sophie have their moments but he loves on her - he's very gentle when she want's to play.   Of course now that Lilly is pretty much all mended up they both like to rough house but that is kept at a minimum.   Sometimes I get on their case when the two are tug o waring and wrestling around.  For the most part they spot.  Sometimes it just gets very quiet and they've moved it to the bedroom and on top of the bed!  When it comes just to Gordy I'm sure he thinks he's top dog and is pretty comfortable where ever~

Now on a different note~  Can you guess what this is?

It's been said that chickens will eat just about anything - maybe even anything!  Friday my Dad, with my help,  preformed surgery on a rooster.  Surprised?  Let's say it wasn't in my plans for the day.  I knew it was coming since the rooster swallowed it few - several days prior; it wasn't passing through to the gizzard and keeping him from eating or digesting.   Poultry have been known to die from things being lodged in their crops.  Some suggestions were given to help remove the obstruction but it never would have worked.  I read (after we preformed surgery) that if using water, olive oil or liquid paraffin.  In serious cases surgically removing was listed as an option and that of course is what Dad chose.  I was that serious but the suggestion was in taking the "chicken" to the vets.  Dad had done this before and by himself!  I was impressed to say the least and really marveled at the rooster.  Really!  Well we gathered all that was needed - I'll leave the details out but will say I sewed him up!  Yes, me!

So what is the picture of?  Have you given up?

An old banana peel - to the right the hard stem!
In quoting my cousin Tammy - whom I haven't seen in years, "There's never a dull moment~"  Dad and I did such a great job I mentioned we ought to take it on the road - or not~  Not!

No comments:

Post a Comment